Bullying (cyber, emotional, physical)
Bullying is defined as any repeated direct or indirect behaviour, comment, act or gesture, whether deliberate or not, including in cyberspace, which occurs in a context where there is a power imbalance between the persons concerned and which causes distress and injures, hurts, oppresses, intimidates or ostracizes.
- Any act of bullying could result in a suspension of up to 5 school days
- The complete Symmes-D’Arcy McGee Anti-Violence/Anti-Bullying Plan may be found here on this very website.
Cell Phone policy
Cell phones are not permitted in classes; cell phone use is prohibited throughout the school during class time. Earbuds, headphones, etc. are not permitted in classrooms; their use is prohibited during class time throughout the school.
- A first infraction will result in having the phone confiscated and turned over to an administrator; the phone will be returned at the end of the school day
- A second infraction will result in having the phone confiscated and turned over to an administrator; parents will be advised. The phone will be returned at the end of the school day
- A third infraction will result in having the phone confiscated and turned over to an administrator; a parent will be required to retrieve the phone at school
Students will dress appropriately; choice of clothing will not include or promote any of the following: inappropriate language, vulgarities, racism, reference to/images of drugs and/or alcohol. Extremes in modes of dress or clothing normally considered undergarments are not acceptable.
Drugs and Alcohol
Students are prohibited from: distributing, consuming, being under the influence of, or in possession of drugs, alcohol, or drug/alcohol paraphernalia.
- An infraction will result in a 10-day suspension from school, and school activities
- A second infraction, or any infraction involving distribution will result in a 10-day suspension from school and school activities, as well as a Discipline Committee Hearing
- Refusal to agree to a search (locker, personal belongings) by administration will result in a 10-day suspension from school and school activities
Participation on school teams is limited to students who attend Symmes and/or D’Arcy McGee. Administration reserves the right to suspend or terminate participation, based on academic and behavioural performance.
Participation in school organized field trips is limited to WQSB students and staff members. All students participating in school field trips must provide written parental authorization as requested by the school, in order to participate in the field trip.
Students are expected to arrive to classes prepared and on time.
- A student who accumulates three lates for a given class will be assigned a lunch hour detention with their classroom teacher
- A student who skips the assigned detention will be assigned a detention with administration
- A student who skips the assigned detention with administration will be issued a Wednesday PM detention
Students will refrain from any type of physical confrontation.
- Two or more students involved in a fight will be suspended from school and school activities for a period of up to 3 school days
- A student who assaults another student will be suspended from school and school activities for 5 school days
Possession of a Weapon
A student in possession of a weapon at school will be suspended from school and school activities for a period of up to 10 school days.
Smoking is prohibited on school property.
- An infraction may result in a suspension from school and school activities for up to 3 school days.
The parking lots located at the front of the building, the side of the building on rue Katimavik, and the back of the building (gymnasium parking lot) are intended for the use of school personnel and visitors. Students who drive vehicles (ie. cars, trucks, motorcycles, scooters) are restricted from parking in these lots.
Students will refrain from the following: photographing, filming, live streaming staff or students without their consent.
- Any infraction of the above stated rule will result in a suspension from school and school activities for 3-5 days.
A student who steals at school, during the school day, or while participating in a school activity will be required to compensate for the theft. Depending on the circumstances, the student may be suspended from school and school activities.
Students are expected to attend all classes.
- A student who skips a class will be issued a Wednesday afternoon detention
- A student who skips their Wednesday detention will be suspended from school and school activities for one school day
- A student who is truant (skips class) twice in one week will be suspended from school and school activities for one school day
Students will not damage school property, items that belong to the school, or items belonging to staff, students, or visitors to the school.
- A student who vandalizes will be required to compensate for full repair of the vandalism.
- Depending on the circumstances, the student may be suspended from school and school activities.
Students are prohibited from: distribution, consumption, or being in possession of vaporizers, or vaporizer products.
- An infraction will result in a 10-day suspension from school and school activities.